Because why not.
Update time. I am well again, and firmly back to work. The next two albums coming out are the Balkan Rock Opera and a cyberpunk fairy tale.
We are focusing all our attention at the moment on the Balkan Rock Opera, mainly because it has the most moving parts, requires the most extra people, and once i finish the composing rewrites, i can work on the fairy tale while a find the necessary singers and perhaps an accordionist and a violinist. The singers are the most important thing that need to be found.
I have already met with guitarist Ivan Vukadinovic, the guitarist on the Carnival. He’s on board and i’ve already sent him some tracks. I’m not sure how i’\m going to find the singers, but rest assured, i will. (Note, singers must be from the Balkans. Due to obvious convenience, i’m assuming they will be Serbian. However that’s not a deal breaker, it’s just the most likely. The singers HAVE to be from the Balkans, though. Local, if you will. That part’s non negotiable.)
Once i’ve finished my rewrites of what will be titled Janissary, i will turn to the cyberpunk fairy tale.
The Forgotten Meme, A Cyberpunk Fairy Tale featuring Kerttu Aarnipuu is already written storywise, but not a single note of music has been composed. When i start i want to be be able to go for a good bit in full on concentration. I’m happy to be working on both of these projects sort of simultaneously, but really, i’m working on them one at a time. Several weeks of dedicated focus on one before turning back to the other. It will be beautiful and sad and dreamy.
I should probably post at some point that i actually finished the great Dolls Sheet Music campaign, which frankly, nearly killed me. But the full score for Dolls has been made and i will be putting it somewhere appropriate for the parties who will ask for and need it in the future.
Janissary is my main focus now, and it is truly epic. The emotions near the end get really deep and complicated and i’m really proud of this one. Anyone know any really great Serbian/Croatian singers?
Sorry this post is so late, but i got SLAMMED by the flu from hell. A solid week of pain and begging for death and then this horrible fatigue as i struggle to claw my way to normalcy. Seriously, that sucked.
But the 3rd Act of Lost Hollow is indeed out of Itune and Amazon for those waiting to purchase it there.
I received a wonderful email by Yuura Noctiluca and included in it was some Mary fanart. I do love me fanart, so here she is.
I don’t know why you want to listne to me blather on for an hour about the GG album, but Greg Devries is clearly a masochist, so he lets me do just that. The newest interview is up here:
Hi all. In thinking of what should happen next, here are my current plans, a little different from the other day. (And who knows, could change even further).
1. The first thing that’s going to happen, what i’m working on for the next week or so, is a full, official score to Dolls Of New Albion. Full score, exactly like the album, available to purchase, and all theater productions who put up Dolls can use it as their basis. No one will actually be able to recreate it live, but the music director can easily amend it to their specific set up and taste. I always urge the music director to amend the score to suit their needs.
2. I’m currently leaning towards scrapping the Tales From New Albion album completely. Some of you will be a hair disappointed, but hear me out. I want to make a sad, dreamy fairy tale like album in the same vein as The Little Mermaid. (Old album from some time ago https://mochalab.bandcamp.com/album/the-little-mermaid) A lot of the urge i had to do a collection of short stories was satiated by the book (https://mochalab.bandcamp.com/merch/book-lost-fables-from-new-albion-2) and i’m also concerned that a lore heavy tales album will find myself moving too far up my own ass.
What excites me is telling a sad, dreamy story, something like a fairy tale. In addition, the singer i will working with on the next album is already picked out and we will introduce you to Kerttu Aarnipuu soon enough. (The name is Finnish). Her voice is so pure and dreamy and lilting, she’d be perfect for a project like this. The album will have some aspect of New Albion canon in it, but will be focused on telling a beautiful bedtime story for sad, broken hearted children. Just trust me. I’ma make something good.
3. The Rock Opera is DEFinitely a go. As mentioned previously, it’s already written, although a small portion of it needs to be tossed and redone. I will working with some live musicians and local singers. It will be much more of a rock band like album than you have heard from me, and was written to feature a set amount of instruments. Basically, it’s a 6 piece rock band, including accordion and fiddle. It’s a real rock opera, with a Balkan inspiration and i’m meeting with the guitarist from Raven’s Carnival next week to discuss how to implement it. But it’s a definite go and for those looking for another epic, this is definitely it. It tells the tale of the Monk in her early years, raised in a foreign land east of New Albion for those who like the connectedness of the Shaperaverse. For those who don’t care about such things, it is a stand alone work with its own complete tale, based on inspiration gleaned from Balkan history.
4. For those who want their fix of New Albion canon and don’t want to wait a full year and something for the Space Opera to begin, i will likely release a Raven mini-EP. Raven is now free and has some songs to sing, such as New Albion 11, a Story for bad little children, and maybe 2 other songs relevant to events following Lost Hollow (including a Floozy song!). This will happen sometime over the next couple months. THIS is the fan album in place of Tales.
5. The Space Opera is also a definite go and will return us firmly to New Albion lore, although set sometime in the future. Work on this will not begin for about a year and like i said previously, it will released act by act, in short, 20+ minute acts, as many as it takes to tell the tale. It is the furthest away and thus we’re not worrying too much, although i have a surprising amount of the story worked out because it just lands in my head and is pleasant to think about.
And That is the future that is on its way.
and my love to you. I will make you a beautiful and sad thing, an epic jamming thing, a playful lore thing and then… a Space Opera. All in good time.
Hey, here’s a video interview i did with Cindy Grigg for Storypunks Podcast. We did it about 2 months ago and it’s just come out. I’m about to watch it for the first time now. For any interested here it is.
Check out the official site: https://storypunks.world/2017/11/25/dieselpunk-atompunk-steampunk-and-cyberpunk-with-musician-paul-shapera/