Hi all. In thinking of what should happen next, here are my current plans, a little different from the other day. (And who knows, could change even further).
1. The first thing that’s going to happen, what i’m working on for the next week or so, is a full, official score to Dolls Of New Albion. Full score, exactly like the album, available to purchase, and all theater productions who put up Dolls can use it as their basis. No one will actually be able to recreate it live, but the music director can easily amend it to their specific set up and taste. I always urge the music director to amend the score to suit their needs.
2. I’m currently leaning towards scrapping the Tales From New Albion album completely. Some of you will be a hair disappointed, but hear me out. I want to make a sad, dreamy fairy tale like album in the same vein as The Little Mermaid. (Old album from some time ago https://mochalab.bandcamp.com/album/the-little-mermaid) A lot of the urge i had to do a collection of short stories was satiated by the book (https://mochalab.bandcamp.com/merch/book-lost-fables-from-new-albion-2) and i’m also concerned that a lore heavy tales album will find myself moving too far up my own ass.
What excites me is telling a sad, dreamy story, something like a fairy tale. In addition, the singer i will working with on the next album is already picked out and we will introduce you to Kerttu Aarnipuu soon enough. (The name is Finnish). Her voice is so pure and dreamy and lilting, she’d be perfect for a project like this. The album will have some aspect of New Albion canon in it, but will be focused on telling a beautiful bedtime story for sad, broken hearted children. Just trust me. I’ma make something good.
3. The Rock Opera is DEFinitely a go. As mentioned previously, it’s already written, although a small portion of it needs to be tossed and redone. I will working with some live musicians and local singers. It will be much more of a rock band like album than you have heard from me, and was written to feature a set amount of instruments. Basically, it’s a 6 piece rock band, including accordion and fiddle. It’s a real rock opera, with a Balkan inspiration and i’m meeting with the guitarist from Raven’s Carnival next week to discuss how to implement it. But it’s a definite go and for those looking for another epic, this is definitely it. It tells the tale of the Monk in her early years, raised in a foreign land east of New Albion for those who like the connectedness of the Shaperaverse. For those who don’t care about such things, it is a stand alone work with its own complete tale, based on inspiration gleaned from Balkan history.
4. For those who want their fix of New Albion canon and don’t want to wait a full year and something for the Space Opera to begin, i will likely release a Raven mini-EP. Raven is now free and has some songs to sing, such as New Albion 11, a Story for bad little children, and maybe 2 other songs relevant to events following Lost Hollow (including a Floozy song!). This will happen sometime over the next couple months. THIS is the fan album in place of Tales.
5. The Space Opera is also a definite go and will return us firmly to New Albion lore, although set sometime in the future. Work on this will not begin for about a year and like i said previously, it will released act by act, in short, 20+ minute acts, as many as it takes to tell the tale. It is the furthest away and thus we’re not worrying too much, although i have a surprising amount of the story worked out because it just lands in my head and is pleasant to think about.
And That is the future that is on its way.
Be sure to pick up The Grand Cyberpunk Gala of Gabriella Gadfly if you haven’t already
and my love to you. I will make you a beautiful and sad thing, an epic jamming thing, a playful lore thing and then… a Space Opera. All in good time.