I don’t know why you want to listne to me blather on for an hour about the GG album, but Greg Devries is clearly a masochist, so he lets me do just that. The newest interview is up here:
Author Archives: paulms
Hi all. In thinking of what should happen next, here are my current plans, a little different from the other day. (And who knows, could change even further).
1. The first thing that’s going to happen, what i’m working on for the next week or so, is a full, official score to Dolls Of New Albion. Full score, exactly like the album, available to purchase, and all theater productions who put up Dolls can use it as their basis. No one will actually be able to recreate it live, but the music director can easily amend it to their specific set up and taste. I always urge the music director to amend the score to suit their needs.
2. I’m currently leaning towards scrapping the Tales From New Albion album completely. Some of you will be a hair disappointed, but hear me out. I want to make a sad, dreamy fairy tale like album in the same vein as The Little Mermaid. (Old album from some time ago https://mochalab.bandcamp.com/album/the-little-mermaid) A lot of the urge i had to do a collection of short stories was satiated by the book (https://mochalab.bandcamp.com/merch/book-lost-fables-from-new-albion-2) and i’m also concerned that a lore heavy tales album will find myself moving too far up my own ass.
What excites me is telling a sad, dreamy story, something like a fairy tale. In addition, the singer i will working with on the next album is already picked out and we will introduce you to Kerttu Aarnipuu soon enough. (The name is Finnish). Her voice is so pure and dreamy and lilting, she’d be perfect for a project like this. The album will have some aspect of New Albion canon in it, but will be focused on telling a beautiful bedtime story for sad, broken hearted children. Just trust me. I’ma make something good.
3. The Rock Opera is DEFinitely a go. As mentioned previously, it’s already written, although a small portion of it needs to be tossed and redone. I will working with some live musicians and local singers. It will be much more of a rock band like album than you have heard from me, and was written to feature a set amount of instruments. Basically, it’s a 6 piece rock band, including accordion and fiddle. It’s a real rock opera, with a Balkan inspiration and i’m meeting with the guitarist from Raven’s Carnival next week to discuss how to implement it. But it’s a definite go and for those looking for another epic, this is definitely it. It tells the tale of the Monk in her early years, raised in a foreign land east of New Albion for those who like the connectedness of the Shaperaverse. For those who don’t care about such things, it is a stand alone work with its own complete tale, based on inspiration gleaned from Balkan history.
4. For those who want their fix of New Albion canon and don’t want to wait a full year and something for the Space Opera to begin, i will likely release a Raven mini-EP. Raven is now free and has some songs to sing, such as New Albion 11, a Story for bad little children, and maybe 2 other songs relevant to events following Lost Hollow (including a Floozy song!). This will happen sometime over the next couple months. THIS is the fan album in place of Tales.
5. The Space Opera is also a definite go and will return us firmly to New Albion lore, although set sometime in the future. Work on this will not begin for about a year and like i said previously, it will released act by act, in short, 20+ minute acts, as many as it takes to tell the tale. It is the furthest away and thus we’re not worrying too much, although i have a surprising amount of the story worked out because it just lands in my head and is pleasant to think about.
And That is the future that is on its way.
and my love to you. I will make you a beautiful and sad thing, an epic jamming thing, a playful lore thing and then… a Space Opera. All in good time.
Hey, here’s a video interview i did with Cindy Grigg for Storypunks Podcast. We did it about 2 months ago and it’s just come out. I’m about to watch it for the first time now. For any interested here it is.
Check out the official site: https://storypunks.world/2017/11/25/dieselpunk-atompunk-steampunk-and-cyberpunk-with-musician-paul-shapera/
Courtesy of NADS, New Albion valentines. Also, i sort of have to mention once again, Act 3 of Lost Hollow is out now.
First of all, let me thank each and every person who has bought Act 3. It is a wonderful thing that fills me with joy each and every time. I am more grateful than you can possibly imagine. Thanks to you i can live another day and write more albums, and we’ve got quite a few on the way. Here is the plan:
During the next year (give or take) i will release two albums. One will a collection of stories from different eras of New Albion, but the bookending story will be centered in the dieslepunk era. It will be on the dreamier side. It may even feature some old, familiar faces and voices we haven’t heard in awhile (IF it works out.) This will be a very fan centered album, as you’ll kind of need to be somewhat familiar with the general lore to really appreciate it. The current working title is Dead Things And Broken Love Stories. It will likely be dreamy and sad.
I will also put out the Balkan Rock album. The current working title is Hajduk and Janissary, but i’ll likely change that title. Most of it is written, although a little under a third need redone. I will hopefully be using local Serbian talent. I aim to sit down with the guitarist from Carnival in the next couple weeks and have a long discussion about how to pull it off. I want to use as many live musicians as possible, but there are numerous constraints, too, so it will likely be a cross between my own studio instruments (for drums and bass and keys) and other musicians for guitar, accordion and hopefully violin. It’s a full 90 minute rock opera. It stands well alone and doesn’t require any New Albion knowledge whatsoever to get into. For those of you who really LIKE the New Albion connection, it tells the story of the early life of the Monk from Dolls (and her father).eg
After that i aim to make a space opera. It will jump ahead a bit (how long i’m not sure) but it IS the New Albion world in space. For this project i’m thinking of doing something odd: i will release smaller acts, the length of the acts in the originally New Albion Trilogy, 20 something minutes, on their own, more frequently. So, perhaps the Space Opera will have 6 to 8 Acts. Each Act will be released every 3 to 5 months, and when they are all finished then compiled into a full, giant album.
That’s the plan. The Space Opera has awhile til fruition and i will mull it over during this next year when i work on Dead Things and Janissary. (Although i believe i have the skeleton of the first act sort of figured out).
In the meantime, i hope you all enjoy Gabriella Gadfly. We’ll a bit more about it tomorrow, but for now, THANK YOU. THANK YOU so VERY much for your support and love. You’ll never know how much it means to me.
As usual, the album is out first on Bandcamp and will be out on iTunes in just a few days.
We proudly present the conclusion to our pleasant little tale and introduce you to the incredible Jessica Singer who plays our AI Queen. I mean, all that really happens is that they all sit down and have a delightful cup of tea, but you should listen anyway in case someone inadvertently changes the narrative.
A piece of fan art featuring the floozies by Josh Vierela
As with the rest of the entries in the Lost Hollow saga, this conclusion will continue the intimate approach. One of the goals with Lost Hollow was to do a saga where the chapters were each more intimate, simpler and take place over a short length of time. Act 1 of course is simply a small cast trying to perform their little play in real time. In Act 2, a small group of friends visit a carnival and talk to the Barker. In Act 3 the same group of friends talk to a robot. Couldn’t be simpler. Throw in a few catchy tunes and viola.
What, that didn’t sell you? Okay, admittedly it doesn’t sound as good on paper.
APOCALYPTIC LESBIAN SUICIDAL REALITY BENDING FURRIES!
There. The fun stuff is in the details.
If you haven’t checked out the madness start with Act 1 https://mochalab.bandcamp.com/album/miss-helens-weird-west-cabaret-the-ballad-of-lost-hallow-act-1
Otherwise, on Monday we conclude our saga. Here is some art by Vadvi